Thursday, July 1, 2010

HE LIVES!

Daniel had his surgery Tuesday, June 29th and everything...went...GREAT! We are currently still stationed in the East wing, section 4E, room 46 of the hospital and will be until Saturday. Dan is such a trooper and his recovery is going very smoothly according to his Doctor. We can't help but realize how blessed we truly are. Thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers :)

Dan's mom flew up for the surgery and it was a great relief to have her here for several reasons. 1) Who doesn't love company? 2) I knew Dan appreciated having his mother here for support through a serious surgery such as this. 3) When they took him away for surgery, I resisted the need to fall apart balling b/c I had someone to distract me while I knew someone was slicing my husband up like a sardine lol. And 4) we just love mom's!

Our daily activities include and ARE limited to the following: At least once an hour use the Repirex to help with lung expansion. About 5-6 times per day, get up and walk the halls to get blood circulating through the legs. Try and sit up for little bit everyday to stretch muscles. And make my bed for a nice restless sleep (whatever). Everything else in between is filled with what else besides Dan reading every single sports news article available on the world wide web.

Thanks for all the emails, notes, kind words, cards and treats! He loves them, and so do I! Especially if they are yummy :)

And now what you've all been waiting for...dun dun dun. THE SCAR! Dr. Lobo (surgeon) told us Dan would be left with about a 3 inch scar on his side where they opened him up to operate on the kidney. 3 inch scar our BUTTS! Today they took off the bandage and this is what we discovered...

If you can't tell, it's more like a 6 inch scar! It looks like they had enough room to open him up, play shuffle board with his organs, and put them back in their rightful place. Yikes. But to look at the bride side, at least he'll be left with a manly scar. He can toss around stories like, "yeah a shark got a hold of me...but I ate it before it ate me."

All is well and more to come on my little patient!

4 comments:

Kylee said...

Ohh good!! I'm so glad he is ok and the surgery went well. We have been thinking about you guys a lot and we definitely miss you!

Dawn said...

You guys are AWESOME! I'm so glad Dan is doing great. As for the scar, just hope and pray you don't ever have a c-section scar to compete with his! LOL!! Sounds like you're a great caregiver. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself too. Tell Dan all his little DDM "cousins" say hi and to feel better! :)

Nicole said...

Aww poor Dan! Glad he's doing good. You need to get some sleep when she's there!

Adam said...

what a sweet scar that will be! I bet that shark looks even worse.